Do you remember the Rexall Drug Stores? It all started in Ft. Worth, Texas when Renfro Drug Company sold to Rexall back in 1946.
Soda fountains, make-up, medicines, tobacco products, and unmentionables are items often associated with classic drug stores. Elza Tillman Renfro, son of a pharmacist, wanted to develop a string of stores to practice that trade and serve other needs of the Fort Worth community.
Renfro began business circa 1905 in the Knights of Pythias building at 3rd and Main Streets with four employees and a large storeroom behind the store. The concept of chain stores was relatively new at that time.
Renfro gradually expanded his chain of drug stores throughout the greater Fort Worth area. At its largest, the chain consisted of twenty-five stores, four hundred employees, and a large warehouse. The most lavish location, Store No. 12, had a 65-foot long fountain that stretched along one side of the store. In 1946, the Renfro Drug Company was purchased by the United-Rexall, but continued to operate some stores with the Renfro name. This image shows Renfro Drugs No. 1 in 1925, two decades after its opening.
Rexall is a chain of American drugstores, and the name of their store-branded products. The stores, having roots in the federation of United Drug Stores starting in 1903, licensed the Rexall brand name to as many as 12,000 drug stores across the United States from 1920 to 1977. The “Rex” in the name came from the common Rx abbreviation for medical prescriptions.
Courtesy The University of Texas at Arlington Library.