WILLIAM JAMES SCANLAN, 1877 – 1947
Born in Painesville, Ohio on February 5, 1877, William James was the son of James and Mary Masterson Scanlan. James was a builder in Dallas who constructed the old Baylor Dental College in 1886, among other works of art. When the building was demolished, two of his children attended the ceremonies. They were Mrs. Vince (Marne) Gallagher and Hugh Scanlan. James left this area after the death of his wife to go on a visit to his former home in Ohio. As he was returning to Texas, he died. The exact place of his death is unknown to his descendants.
As an orphan, Mary Elizabeth “Marne” Boylan was raised by Mr. and Mrs. Phil Corbitt. When she grew to maturity, Mame worked for Mr. and Mrs. Vince Gallagher. Visiting often in the Gallagher household was Mrs. Gallagher’s brother, William James Scanlan, who noted this beautiful young lady. On January 9, 1900 Will and Mame were wed. She was born January 27,1879 in the St. Paul (now incorporated into Wylie) area to Michael and Mary Stibbens Boylan.
He loved her cooking, especially those hot biscuits and homemade bread “which couldn’t be beat.” At one time the Scanlan’s had much land in this Irish Catholic community. Then Lake Lavon was constructed. Many acres of their land went into the lake. Looking out from Scanlan Point on top of the hill, a beautiful view of the lake is visible. On this hill, Will built a home for Marne in 1900. It survived 86 years, being demolished in 1986.
In all of that time, only the Scanlan family lived in it. To Marne and Will four children were born-James Edward “Ed”, Clifford Michael “Cliff’, Marie Elizabeth and William Fred “Fred.” They were all reared on this farm and educated in local schools.
James Edward “Ed” Scanlan was a graduate of the Dallas University. He married Leona Wardeoph. They had one son,James. A resident of Dallas, Ed worked ae a Claims Adjuster for Mutual Benefit Insurance Company. At his death in 1948 he was in San Antonio on business.
Cliff Scanlan (7/17/1904-12/5/1982) ran the family farm. He served as a member from the Catholic Church on the Birmingham Land Trust. (Note, F. O. Birmingham Trust was established in 1940. Is still in existence and has provided greatly for Wylie schools). During World War II he worked Prisoners of War at Princeton #2 Concentration Camp where they did general farm labor.
It was on Christmas Eve when Cliff met a very cute and dedicated nurse. Mary Naomi Hodge was attending the sick sister-in-law, Leona, and her son, Jimmy, who were ill with pneumonia at their home. The family had come to check on the sick before attending Midnight Mass. It did not take Cliff long before he decided to woo Naomi. Although she was engaged at the time, Cliff managed a New Year’s Eve date. They were wed December 2,1939 in Dallas. Two children blessed this union. They are John Clifford (born 1941) and Mary Jo (born 1954). Three healthy grandsons continue to carry on the name in Wylie. They are John Todd, Jerry Phillip and Kenneth Wayne Scanlan.
The only girl in the family was Marie Elizabeth Scanlan (4/28/1908-10/8/1960). She lived in Dallas with her husband,Grady Parkerson, and daughter, Betty. Grady was employed by Burrus Mills.
William Fred, called Fred, married Grace Green in November1937. They had two daughters, Linda and Sue. Fred was anexecutive at Otis Elevator when he died May 14, 1971.
For many years Cliff tended St. Paul Cemetery with love and devotion. There were many of his ancestors buried there. Among them were the matriarch and patriarch of the Scanlan family. William James passed away March 24, 1947. He was preceded in death b his wife, Mame, who departed this world on February 19, 1939.
Photo: L to R, Hugh James, James Edward, Mary Anna (Aunt Mame), Mary Masterson and William James Scanlan.
Courtesy Beb Fulkerson. Photo courtesy John Scanlan