The Sachse Cemetery can be seen from Highway 78 north of the railroad and adjacent to the church and a funeral home in the City of Sachse. The street that intersects at this point is named Fifth. The Sachse Cemetery and a large portion of the town of Sachse is on Peter Colonist Isaac Ramsey’s Survey No. 1248.
Isaac Ramsey and his wife Margaret came to Texas with their two children before 1848. They qualified for a Peters Colony certificate for 640 acres. Isaac died in 1850 before he received their certificate. His wife Margaret was the administrator of his estate and did receive the certificate. On the 1850 census for Dallas County they are shown as family number 249. Nothing else has been found on them.
A native of Prussia, William Sachse (1820-1899), sailed to America as a stowaway landing in New York in 1840. He made his way to Philadelphia, then Pittsburg and to Missouri where he lived until 1844. He joined a group coming to Texas that arrived in Dallas/Collin County in January 1845. They attempted to settle in what is now Collin County, but the Caddo Indians were hostile and the settlers returned to a pioneer village in Lamar County.
In the fall the Indians had left the area and the settlers returned to Dallas/Collin County. William met a young widow with two children, Elizabeth McCulloch Straly (1815-1852). She had received a Peters Colony certificate for 640 acres and she patented 320 acres in Dallas County and 320 acres in Collin County. She also acquired other land in Dallas County. Her survey No. 1324 was just west of the Isaac Ramsey Survey that William Sachse had acquired.
William and Elizabeth were married May 23, 1845 in Lamar County. Family history tells that they at first lived in a dug out and grew crops of corn and wheat and raised pigs. In the 1850 census for
Collin County William and Elizabeth Sachse are noted as Number 257. From the age of the children, Mary being thirteen and William eleven, the two oldest children were Elizabeth’s from her first marriage – also listed are Thomas Benjamin, four, and James not yet one year old, these were William and Elizabeth Sachse’s children. Elizabeth’s son, William, is said to have helped William Sachse with his dealings in Collin County when Sachse who was fluent in the German language needed some help in understanding the English language.
From this beginning Sachse acquired more land, employed farm laborers to help planting and harvesting, and was generous with his neighbors. (See Charles Tucker in Big A Cemetery) Sachse erected a cotton gin and mill powered by oxen and horses. The Huffines who lived west of White Rock Creek came to Sachse’s gin to get the cotton seed they needed.
After Elizabeth died in 1852 the children were cared for by slaves until William met and married Martha Ann Frost in 1855. Martha Ann (1833-1916) was one of the daughters of Peter Colonist Benjamin and Catherine Frost who came to Texas before 1848 with their seven children all born in Alabama. The Frost survey was between what is now Shiloh and North Star and south of Apollo.
William and Martha Ann had ten children; the three girls were named Arizona, Alabama, and Missouri. One son was named Dewitt and there is a street in the city of Sachse by that name. The youngest daughter Alabama Elizabeth (1874-1947) attended St. Mary’s finishing school in Dallas traveling back and forth by wagon. She married A. R. Brand and there is a road in this area named for him.
At one time the Sachses owned over 5000 acres of land, some in downtown Dallas. One resource mentions that in 1880s William Sachse agreed to be a bondsman for the Collin County Tax Collector. The county official fled with a large sum of money, leaving Mr. Sachse heavily obligated. He had to sell some of his holdings to settle the debt. They were still able to give each of their children large farms. They also donated right of way for the Santa Fe Railroad when it came to Dallas. The depot was constructed here and since the railroad was so significant to the founding of the town this is the current office of the Chamber of Commerce.
Sachse set aside one and one eighth acres for a cemetery and his is the first marked grave. There are many family members buried in this original section. He donated a block of land adjoining the townsite for “God’s Acre “on which the Christian Church was built.” In 1907 Frank Marion, youngest son and his wife, signed the deed giving the cemetery to the Sachse Christian Church. Frank had obtained the property from the probate records of William Sachse Trust.
In an article in Volume Il of Proud Heritage is the story of the fifth son Jake, also known as J.K. He made a name for himself as a farmer and ranger. Jake took part in many church activities, even paying the minister’s salary. He also directed the choir. He actively participated in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows serving as chairman of the IOOF Grand Lodge. He was responsible for the children’s home in Corsicana. He planned and directed the construction of a home for the elderly in Ennis.
Jake’s civic duties continued when he was a charter stockholder of the State National Bank in Garland and as a director oversaw the farm related properties. In 1893 he married Elizabeth (Mollie) Herring. There are many Herring family head stones in this cemetery, too.
Mollie was granddaughter of Daniel Herring who came with his family from North Carolina to Texas arriving in time to get a Peters Colony certificate for 640 acres. They show up on the Collin County 1850 census with six children. The Herring Survey is adjacent to the Isaac Ramsey and E. Straly Survey also on the Collin/Dallas County line. Daniel Herring and William Sachse were good friends and six generations later their descendants are still a part of Dallas County history. The Garland Genealogical Society Spring 1996 points out that five of William Sachse’s children and grandchildren married five of the Daniel Herring’s descendants.
The late Mayor of the City of Dallas, Jack Evans, and his wife Gene are buried in this cemetery. Jean/Gene (Imogene) was a great, granddaughter of William and Martha Ann Sachse. The graveyard has always been considered a public burying ground and is still active. It has been enlarged and is now under the auspicious of the Charles W. Smith and Sons Funeral Homes.
Written by Frances James. “From the Ground Up.”