ROBERT and MARY HOFFER CAMPBELL

The Routh and Campbell families each observed a century of residence on their two farms in North Richardson, Dallas County, at the Robert Fleming Campbell home in August of 1951. The two families came to Texas from Dandridge, Tennessee, after they had been there more than 50 years.

Robert and Mary Campbell Famil

Robert and Mary Campbell Famiyl

R. F. Campbell was the Justice of the Peace and was engaged in agriculture. He and his wife, Jane David, had six children born from 1832 to 1841: W. Lafayette, Lodemia, Serepta Ellen, Margaret Emma, James White and Archibald David.  R. F. Campbell next married, in 1850, Mary Ann Hoffer, who was part Swiss, and they had four children: Henry K. , Semonie, Alice and John Meade.

John Meade Campbell, born February 25, 1866, died November 16, .1954, was a diversified farmer and breeder of shorthorn cattle. His herd bull was brought from Scotland. He married Elizabeth Semonie Haynes, whose father was J. G. S. Haynes of Dallas; her grandfather was T. W. Shelton, born August 15, 1828, died March 8, 1907 and her grandmother was Lydia Rowland, born November 16, 1834, died February 4, 1915.

J. M. and Elizabeth Campbell’s children were: Rita Mae born 1895, died 1976; married J. Marvin McGuire, a Richardson school teacher. Their daughter, Maryland, married R. A. Keagy of Amarillo.

Ima Meade, born 1898, was a school teacher and married Frank Forman, a Plano rancher and builder. -Their daughter, Betty Frank, married Omar Plank who operated the Speed Shoe Corp. in Houston.

Robert Haynes, born 1900, died 1943, was a rancher and married Martha E. Pierce, who died in 1978.

Mary Winnie, born January 29, 1904, a certified employment counselor and ‘Questioned Document” examiner. She married Oliver C. Harrison, manager of Huey & Philp, Hotel Restaurant Supply Division. Their daughter, Mary Elizabeth, born June 26, 1927, received a B.A. degree at SMU and married J. F. Huffhines, born March 7, 1925, owner of a butane-propane service in Dallas. Their son Eldon Oliver Harrison, born September 14, 1932, a DVM Neurosurgery Clinic Owner, married Margaret V. Andrews.

By Mary C. Harrison for Dallas County Pioneer Association‘s Proud Heritage, Volume I.

Photo:, Top: Serepta Margaret Emma “Mattie”, Stanley Loveless & Serepta Ellen Campbell
Bottom: William Lafayette and Lodemia Ann Campbell Routh