Pioneers of Dallas County

COVERED WAGON TREK, Duck Creek

11 January 2018

“All the roads were white with covered wagons headed west when we left Jefferson City, Mo., to come to Texas, in 1871,” said E. B. Basye, 1418 Lindsley avenue. “Some of our relatives who had preceded us, had settled on Duck Creek (now Garland) in Dallas County, and had long been urging us to join […]

E. KING GILL, 12th MAN TRADITION

11 January 2018

The tradition of the 12th Man at Texas A&M was born at the end of the 1921 football season. A sophomore named E. King Gill had been on the A&M football team as a backup running back, but decided he wanted to focus more on basketball. He quit the team in the middle of the […]

WILLIAM C. C. AKARD & His Street

10 January 2018

William C. C. Akard, for whom Akard Street in Dallas was named, was born in North Carolina on 6 March 1826. He moved from North Carolina to Polk County, Missouri. He married Sarah Bowen, daughter of Ahab Bowen. Ahab Bowen, along with his sons, sons-in-law, and their families, moved from Missouri to Arkansas. This group […]

OAK LAWN PARK & ARLINGTON HALL

10 January 2018

The history of Arlington Hall starts with a Republic of Texas land grant to William E. Grigsby included the land along Turtle Creek which would later become Oak Lawn Park, now Robert E. Lee Park. In 1846, Grigsby sold 320 acres for $320 to Calvin Cole, the eldest son of Dr. John Cole. Calvin Cole […]

CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY, 1954

10 January 2018

The freeway era in North Texas began on August 19, 19491 when a crowd estimated at 7000 celebrated the opening of the first section of Central Expressway. just three years earlier the path of the freeway was the Houston & Texas Central Railroad, the first railroad to be built through Dallas. It was a symbolic […]

REMEMBER THE REXALL DRUG STORES ?

4 January 2018

Do you remember the Rexall Drug Stores?  It all started in Ft. Worth, Texas when Renfro Drug Company sold to Rexall back in 1946. Soda fountains, make-up, medicines, tobacco products, and unmentionables are items often associated with classic drug stores. Elza Tillman Renfro, son of a pharmacist, wanted to develop a string of stores to […]

PAUL MAURICE AKIN Wylie Elementary School Principal, 1956-1976 P. M….

2 January 2018

PAUL MAURICE AKIN Wylie Elementary School Principal, 1956-1976 P. M. Akin Elementary School Named in His Honor in 1988 Paul Maurice Akin taught and was the Elementary Principal to many, sometimes spanning “three generations.” He was born April 8, 1912 in the Clear Water Community, the son of John Weldon Akin Sr. and Hester (Hillis) […]

FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH of DALLAS, 1901

30 December 2017

The first Unitarian Church of Dallas was located at the SE corner of Commerce and Pearl streets. On May 12 , 1899, at the invitation of Rabbi Dr. George Alexander Kohut, Mr. Daniel Christian Limbaugh gave a talk on the Unitarian religion at Temple Emanu-El. On December 3, 1899, after several months of preliminary work, […]

JOHN H. McDONOUGH, Maple Ave,

26 December 2017

JOHN H. MCDONOUGH (1858-1938), a Kentuckian who came to Texas in 1884 as a member of the federal civil service in the post office department, entered private industry in Dallas in 1900 by buying control of the Murray Ginning Systems Company, manufacturers of a full line of cotton gin machinery, later expanded to include cottonseed […]

CAPT. W. H. GASTON, Plantation Becomes Town

13 November 2017

Captain William H. Gaston, Confederate soldier, banker, financier, and empire builder, designed and constructed his own Greek Revival home in 1873 on the northeast corner of Swiss Avenue and St. Joseph Street. This elegant mansion, headquarters of the 400-acre plantation that became the town of East Dallas, was demolished in 1927 to construct the Dallas […]

‘THE CEDARS’ Dallas’ First Fashionable Neighborhood

10 August 2017

You can access the Cedars neighborhood traveling south from downtown Dallas using five streets: Harwood, St. Paul, Akard, Griffin, and Lamar. Each street crosses Interstate-30 with a standard Texas highway overpass. The freeway, once part of the Cedars, is now a barrier clearly defining a neighborhood that until one hundred years ago served as stepping-stone […]