Pioneers of Dallas County

ELIZABETH CHAPEL, OAK CLIFF O

13 January 2018

Elizabeth Chapel in Oak Cliff was one of First Organized African American Churches in North Texas.  In a small pocket of Oak Cliff, the twin steeples of Sunshine Elizabeth Chapel once rose above a neighborhood unlike any other in Dallas, signaling passersby that they had entered an area known collectively as Tenth Street. Elizabeth street […]

U.S. ARMY ASHBURN GENERAL HOSPITAL, McKINNEY, TX Main Gate about…

13 January 2018

U.S. ARMY ASHBURN GENERAL HOSPITAL, McKINNEY, TX Main Gate, 1943. There was a great need for area hospitals after World War II due to the extensive number of injured soldiers returning from over seas. The Veterans Administration Hospital in McKinney, originally called Ashburn General Hospital in honor of Col. Percy Moreau Ashburn, an army doctor, […]

CHARLEY & UPSHUR BRICE DAVIS WORLEY, Charlie Killed by Train

13 January 2018

Charley Worley came to Texas as a young boy from Sparta, White County, Tennessee, with his mother, Nancy Gray Worley, his grandparents, the Milton Runnels Worleys and his two siblings, Friar and Ana Bell Worley. It is believed they settled in the Cold Springs area between Lancaster and DeSoto, Dallas County. Charley grew to manhood […]

WILLIAM LEONARD SMITH & FAMILY, Lancaster, Texas

13 January 2018

Adventures of Lancaster, Texas Native:  William Leonard Smith was born in Lancaster on March 1, 1874 to Mary Frances “Molly” Winniford and Thomas A. Smith, both Texas natives. Molly was the daughter of Rebecca Goodloe Douglas and Norvell Robertson Winniford, Dallas pioneer and county sheriff 1867-1870. William Leonard had at least one sibling, a sister […]

DR. W. A. MAUPIN Rowlett’s Frontier Dr.

12 January 2018

A horse, a new saddle, and a brand spanking new pill bag. With these as his sole possessions, a new doctor rode into Rowlett around five o’clock in the afternoon on October 3, 1892. With the ink scarcely dry on his diploma, a genuine sheepskin, incidentally, W. A. Maupin became Rowlett’s young “Doc.” Today, (1953) […]

MEMORIES ALONG THE WAY, Pat & Lucy Housewright

12 January 2018

So as time went by Lucy tried to be a mother to the children (children of Pat’s brother) and they haven’t lost their love for her. She tells Percy Fay that she put a lot of diapers on him and told him that his hips were so small she had a time trying to fasten […]

MARSHALL LAFAYETTE JOHNSON, 1848-1939

11 January 2018

MARSHALL LAFAYETTE JOHNSON, 1848-1939 Tells About Pioneer Days in Dallas, Texas Marshall L. Johnson tells about Pioneer days in Dallas, Texas during his Dallas Morning News Interview.  “I noticed an article in The News of Dec. 24, 1922 from the pen of Dr. John H. Mitchell, who came to Dallas in 1863. His description of […]

COVERED WAGON TREK, Duck Creek

11 January 2018

“All the roads were white with covered wagons headed west when we left Jefferson City, Mo., to come to Texas, in 1871,” said E. B. Basye, 1418 Lindsley avenue. “Some of our relatives who had preceded us, had settled on Duck Creek (now Garland) in Dallas County, and had long been urging us to join […]

E. KING GILL, 12th MAN TRADITION

11 January 2018

The tradition of the 12th Man at Texas A&M was born at the end of the 1921 football season. A sophomore named E. King Gill had been on the A&M football team as a backup running back, but decided he wanted to focus more on basketball. He quit the team in the middle of the […]

WILLIAM C. C. AKARD & His Street

10 January 2018

William C. C. Akard, for whom Akard Street in Dallas was named, was born in North Carolina on 6 March 1826. He moved from North Carolina to Polk County, Missouri. He married Sarah Bowen, daughter of Ahab Bowen. Ahab Bowen, along with his sons, sons-in-law, and their families, moved from Missouri to Arkansas. This group […]

OAK LAWN PARK & ARLINGTON HALL

10 January 2018

The history of Arlington Hall starts with a Republic of Texas land grant to William E. Grigsby included the land along Turtle Creek which would later become Oak Lawn Park, now Robert E. Lee Park. In 1846, Grigsby sold 320 acres for $320 to Calvin Cole, the eldest son of Dr. John Cole. Calvin Cole […]

CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY, 1954

10 January 2018

The freeway era in North Texas began on August 19, 19491 when a crowd estimated at 7000 celebrated the opening of the first section of Central Expressway. just three years earlier the path of the freeway was the Houston & Texas Central Railroad, the first railroad to be built through Dallas. It was a symbolic […]

REMEMBER THE REXALL DRUG STORES ?

4 January 2018

Do you remember the Rexall Drug Stores?  It all started in Ft. Worth, Texas when Renfro Drug Company sold to Rexall back in 1946. Soda fountains, make-up, medicines, tobacco products, and unmentionables are items often associated with classic drug stores. Elza Tillman Renfro, son of a pharmacist, wanted to develop a string of stores to […]

PAUL MAURICE AKIN Wylie Elementary School Principal, 1956-1976 P. M….

2 January 2018

PAUL MAURICE AKIN Wylie Elementary School Principal, 1956-1976 P. M. Akin Elementary School Named in His Honor in 1988 Paul Maurice Akin taught and was the Elementary Principal to many, sometimes spanning “three generations.” He was born April 8, 1912 in the Clear Water Community, the son of John Weldon Akin Sr. and Hester (Hillis) […]

FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH of DALLAS, 1901

30 December 2017

The first Unitarian Church of Dallas was located at the SE corner of Commerce and Pearl streets. On May 12 , 1899, at the invitation of Rabbi Dr. George Alexander Kohut, Mr. Daniel Christian Limbaugh gave a talk on the Unitarian religion at Temple Emanu-El. On December 3, 1899, after several months of preliminary work, […]

JOHN H. McDONOUGH, Maple Ave,

26 December 2017

JOHN H. MCDONOUGH (1858-1938), a Kentuckian who came to Texas in 1884 as a member of the federal civil service in the post office department, entered private industry in Dallas in 1900 by buying control of the Murray Ginning Systems Company, manufacturers of a full line of cotton gin machinery, later expanded to include cottonseed […]

CAPT. W. H. GASTON, Plantation Becomes Town

13 November 2017

Captain William H. Gaston, Confederate soldier, banker, financier, and empire builder, designed and constructed his own Greek Revival home in 1873 on the northeast corner of Swiss Avenue and St. Joseph Street. This elegant mansion, headquarters of the 400-acre plantation that became the town of East Dallas, was demolished in 1927 to construct the Dallas […]

‘THE CEDARS’ Dallas’ First Fashionable Neighborhood

10 August 2017

You can access the Cedars neighborhood traveling south from downtown Dallas using five streets: Harwood, St. Paul, Akard, Griffin, and Lamar. Each street crosses Interstate-30 with a standard Texas highway overpass. The freeway, once part of the Cedars, is now a barrier clearly defining a neighborhood that until one hundred years ago served as stepping-stone […]