Mark Robertson (1811-1879) was born in Dixon County, Tennessee, the son of James Robertson, grandson of Charles Robertson, and nephew of James. Charles Robertson and his brother, James, were among the earliest settlers in Tennessee. He was also a cousin of Sterling Robertson, who founded Robertson’s Colony in Texas.
The family soon moved to Illinois, left there and moved to Missouri, where they stayed 3-4 years. Mark ran a steamboat on the Mississippi River for several years. In 1832, while living in Missouri, he met and married Elizabeth Harris (1813-1879).
In 1876, they moved to Texas. When they arrived in Dallas, they left their wagons at a wagon yard on Akard Street. They stayed with Elizabeth’s brother while they looked for a farm. Mark bought a gin in Lawson, Texas, near Kleburg, but soon sold it and bought a farm at Simon, Texas, near Seagoville. Their children attended a one-room log cabin school at Simon. The farm is now a part of the Seagoville, Texas Detention Center.
Mark and Elizabeth both died about two years after they came to Texas. They are buried in in the historic Lee Cemetery at Seagoville, Texas.
In 1870, James J. Lee (1820 – 1901), a Confederate Army veteran from Mississippi, donated land for this cemetery, stipulating that no charges were to be made for plots. The 1.125-acre tract was the first cemetery in southeast Dallas County. Among the 1,500 burials are Lee and members of his family; Gen. James S. Raines (1817 – 1880), an officer in the Mexican War, 1846; some 60 people of Mexican descent; and a slave brought here in 1855. Land deeded for hitching horses has become part of the parking lot.