JAMES J. LOWE Family, Rockwall TX

The Bankhead Service Station was the first service station in Rockwall.  It was located at the corner of Alamo and Rusk streets and built by Woodie and Henson Lowe. Their father operated a brickyard at Rockwall.  Additional information on the Bankhead Highway is available in other articles.

Lowe Bankhead Service Station

Lowe Bankhead Service Station

Native Kentuckians, Rev. Granville L. Tucker, Methodist preacher, and Sallie Colter were married in Kentucky in 1843 and reared a large family. They moved to Rockwall in 1866. Two daughters, Mrs. John Boydston and Mrs. Belle Lowe, remained in Rockwall. Rev. Tucker died in 1874 and his body was the first occupant of the Rockwall Cemetery.

Mr. James J. Lowe was born in 1834 near Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He married Mary Miller and they had five children, two died in infancy. They came to Rockwall in 1867. One of Mr. Lowe’s daughters, Lulah, married Chauncey Allen, with whom Mr. Lowe conducted a general merchandising store until his death in 1899. The building, on the corner of Rusk and Goliad, is now occupied by Stevenson and Davis Insurance Company and is perhaps the oldest building downtown. Mr. Lowe was also in the brick manufacturing business just west of town. The early brick buildings in town were made of the brick from his brickyards. There was a well on the property that was dug in 1852 and part of the rock wall that surrounds the town was discovered.

Haywood, son of J.J. by his first wife, lived for years in a big house on the corner of Boydston and Goliad, with his wife, Susie, and son, Boyd. Susie was the aunt of W.J. Price, a former sheriff of Rockwall County. Boyd married Ruth Jacobs and they had four children, one of whom, Bill, still lives in Rockwall.

After his first wife’s death, Mr. Lowe later married Mrs. Belle Tucker Shaw, widow of Tom Shaw, first sheriff of Rockwall County. Mr. Lowe and Belle had eight children, two died in infancy. They reared six sons in a big house on Kaufman, which was later moved to the corner of the block, on Goliad and Kaufman and made into a bungalow style. A 7-11 store is now on that corner. The sons were Leon, Jack, twins, Ernest and Earl, Woodie and Henson. Leon was a popular young man who liked to go out with the young people in the country or on the railroad tracks and take pictures on Sunday afternoons. Woodie went with them too. Leon and Jack never married. Leon died at age 26.

Jack, Earl and Henson played in the Rockwall Concert Band. Henson played with the Rockwall Baseball Club. Jack, Woodie and Henson built the Bankhead Service Station on the corner of Rusk and Alamo and operated it for several years. Named for the Bankhead Highway, it was the first service station in town. Woodie was the only son who was in World War

Ernest worked for the M.K.& T. He met his wife, Pearl, in Kansas. They had two sons, James Edward and William. Earl married Addle Phillips. Their story is recorded elsewhere in this book. Woodie married Leon Callaway. They had no children. Henson married Ella Block of Royse City. They had a son, Frederick, and a daughter, Coryse. When Henson was only 38 he was electrocuted while working on a light wire near the city park. According to The Rockwall Success, August 12, 1932, “There is no question but that Henson Lowe had more friends, if not as many, as any boy ever born and reared in this city. Everyone was his friend.”

By Audrey Lowe for Rockwall County History by Rockwall Historical Foundation.