13 February 2018 23:06 น. Dallas, Family Histories ,

Walter Buhrer, my father, was born October 10, 1896 to Jacob and Anna Hinterman Buhrer at their home on the west bank of White Rock Creek.  The land is now under White Rock Lake. They came to Texas from West Virginia, following their immigration to the United States from Switzerland. The family later moved to the new home they built at 4603 Junius Street. Walter attended David Crockett grade school and old Dallas High School.

Jacob Buhrer Farm, White Rock

Jacob Buhrer Farm, White Rock

On January 16, 1918 Buhrer enlisted as a private in World War I at Fort Omaha, Nebraska as a motorcycle mechanic in the regular U.S. Army, and was promoted to corporal, First Balloon School, ASSC, on February 16, 1918. At the time of his discharge, his grade classification was Chauffeur First Class in the Ninth Balloon Company. He was discharged July 3, 1919 at Camp Bowie.

Upon his discharge he began work with the Harley Davidson Company, then moved to a long, successful career with the Lone Star Gas Company. He was in the Streets Department and later was put in charge of all gas lines set up and approved for the annual State Fair of Texas. This he continued until the time of his retirement in the early 1950s, having completed thirty-six years of employment with Lone Star Gas.

On October 18, 1922 Buhrer married Alwine Koch, daughter of Robert T. Koch (from Germany), and continued to reside in Dallas at 4615 Junius Street. Alwine was a traditional housewife. They became the parents of one daughter, Genevieve Margaret Buhrer, who married Jack Glover and currently resides in Dallas and is active in the Dallas County Pioneer Association.

After retirement Buhrer continued to enjoy his lifelong hobbies of fishing and hunting. He was known among his hunting/fishing friends as “Heinie” Buhrer, big game hunter, and could be found any Sunday or holiday—other days after retirement—perched on a stump at Lake Dallas with a string of fish.

He was returning from a traditional Labor Day dove hunt on September 1, 1958 when he died from a heart attack, having spent the day doing what he so very much enjoyed. His doctor, G.E. Brereton, said, when learning of his death, “He died with his boots on.”

By Genevieve Buhrer Glover for Dallas County Pioneer Association’s Proud Heritage, Volume III.