J. K. Jake Sachse (1869 – 1937) was the fifth son of the legendary William and Martha Frost Sachse. Primarily a farmer and rancher, his land reached from Highway 544 on the north to Highway 78 on the south. During his lifetime, he owned most of the City of Sachse north of the Santa Fe Railway.
His vision and energy allowed him to take part in many civic, church and fraternal activities, both on a county and state level. During the late 1920’s and early 1930’s, he served as chairman of the board of the I.O.O.F. Grand Lodge, one of the first fraternal organizations in the state. He was responsible for the children’s home in Corsicana, a self-contained community which included an entire independent school district, its own power plant, dairy, and water system. During his tenure, he planned and directed the construction of a home for the elderly in Ennis, Texas.
In the early 1900’s, Jake Sachse was a charter stockholder of the State National Bank in Garland, and later, as a director, oversaw the farm related properties. Long time bank president, A. R. Davis, wrote of him,”…a guiding influence, outstanding citizen…”
At the Sachse Christian Church, J. K. was a lifetime board member, and always underwrote the minister’s salary. On Sunday mornings, director’s baton in hand, he led the choir.
He was married in December, 1893, to Mary Elisabeth (Mollie) Herring (1876–1963), eldest daughter of Joshua L. Herring and granddaughter of Daniel Herring.
Forward-looking and civic-minded, this couple during the early 1900’s, was living in a two-story Victorian house on Dewitt in Sachse.
By the early 1920’s, J. K. had remodeled the Victorian into a 12-room prairie style showplace, with a slate roof and porte cochere. There was a double stairway, double fireplace, hardwood floors, multiple hallways, and bathrooms on both levels. A thermostatically controlled furnace in the basement provided central heat for all rooms. A complex water system, including two windmills, underground pipeline, and overhead as well as underground storage tanks, made plenty of water available. Electricity was generated on the premises. The first lighted Christmas trees in the area were displayed in this home.
Right hand drive 1910 Maxwell with kerosene lamps and a tool box attached to the running board. J.K. and Mollie Herring Sachse in the front seat and Iona Herring getting in the back.
Jake, in the early years, always kept fine saddle horses, a sleigh for snowy days, and two buggies, one for Sunday use. In 1910, he bought his first automobile, a right-hand drive Maxwell with kerosene lamps. After each outing, it would be driven into a floored garage, and jacked up, in order to preserve the tires.
Indeed, he took great pride in his homes, cars and civic endeavors, and also pride in his large barns, with their innovative hook, rope and pulley systems to facilitate the unloading of wagons. He took pride mainly in the perfectly tilled fields and lush pasture areas, livestock and sheep. He managed his farms plantation style, with an even dozen tenant and share cropper houses for the hired help. Besides oats, com and alfalfa, his lands produced 150 bales of cotton annually. As many as 50 workers would line up weekly at the pay window. His office opened on the protected porte cochere area, and was equipped with roll top desk, filing cabinets, adding machine and typewriter. Lodge and church records also were kept there. He received a great honor about 1930 when he was asked to represent all Dallas County farmers at meeting in Washington, D.C.
Physically a compelling figure, with intense blue eyes, exuding intelligence, strength and kindness, he was always well dressed, with a black silk bow tie above a diamond stud.
J. K. Sachse, a proud Texan, was honored posthumously by The Texas Historical and Biographical Record, “Prosperous as a farmer and stockman, both his time and money were freely spent in the advancement of public welfare, whether it be a matter of building new roads, improving the local schools…” His name is inscribed on the Historical Record Monument, located in the esplanade immediately adjacent, and leading to, the State Capitol in Austin.