George William Boyd was born in Chester, South Carolina on June 30, 1876 near Chester, South Carolina.  He was the son of Henry and Martha J. Cannon Boyd.  George didn’t own a farm.  He worked for Jake Sachse for five years and then he worked at the Henry Barger farm.

George W & Emma Boyd Headstone

George W & Emma Boyd Headstone

Emma Lela Spence Boyd was born in Hope, Arkansas on July 10, 1881.  She was the she was the daughter of Georgia E. and Timothy Haywood Spence.  Her father, a veteran of the Civil War, was native of South Carolina and her mother was native of Georgia.

Emma married George W. Boyd sometime around 1899.  Their children were as follows:

  1. Chesley Evert Check, b. 1900
  2. Edgar Lee, b. 1902
  3. Lorree, b. 1903
  4. Arvil Dewey “Buck”, b. 1905
  5. Pauline, b. 1910
  6. Buena Mae, b. 1912

Emma died on Sunday, December 12, 1943 and George followed in 1965.  Both are interred at Cottonwood Cemetery

Their son, Arvil Dewey “Buck” Boyd was born in 1910 at Liberty Grove (NE Rowlett). He received his nickname from his love of horses. While living on the Jake Sachse place (Sachse TX), as a young kid, Buck would to ride to the gate with Jake, then open the gate just to be able to ride. His Uncle John Boyd noticed Buck’s attachment for horses and gave him the nickname of “Buck”.

One of Buck’s cousins, Letha Belle Wood, introduced him to Miss Gene George over in Ft Worth. Gene told her parents that she was taking the Model T from Ft Worth to visit Buena Mae Boyd (Buck’s sister) one weekend. While she was in town Buck killed a hog, dressed it and sold it for enough money that the two took off to Durant, Oklahoma on December 24, 1931. They were married and returned to Wylie to live.

This was during the Great Depression.  Times were so difficult they couldn’t even buy a penny postcard. Gene was raised in town and knew nothing about farming, but she quickly learned. She bought enough material and thread to make a bonnet and cotton sack. She didn’t earn enough money picking cotton to even pay for the material.

As the depression ended, Buck and his brother, Check Boyd became involved in the traveling picture show business. On the first trip from Rowlett to Crandall, the tires on their Model T blew out one right after another. On one trip to Crandall everything was so frozen that they couldn’t unload. So they, and the crew, slept in the show truck. They had to level the snow just to set up the show tent, but that next night a large crowd showed up to watch the movie. They continued with the traveling movie shows until replaced by the more modern movie theaters.

Courtesy The Bois D’arc At Nacogdoches by Jim Foster and Wylie Area Heritage by Beb Fulkerson.