FRANK and FLORENCE SCHULZ
Frank “Buddy” Schulz, Jr. was born February 10, 1904 at the family home, 4400 East Side, Dallas. He was the youngest son of Frank Schulz, Sr. and Anna (Zahl) Schulz, immigrants from Nordenburg, Prussia. He had one brother, Carl, and three sisters, Gertrude, Margaret and Frances.
Buddy grew up in Dallas and attended the schools there. For a brief time, 1917 to 1919, the family lived on their timber farm near Sacul in east Texas. While living there, Buddy and his three sisters contracted, then survived, malaria.
In 1927, Buddy began his career with Central Power and Light in south Texas. In 1929, however, he left CPL and joined Universal Aviation Corporation as Field Traffic Manager at Fairfax Airport in Kansas City. He returned to CPL in 1931 where he covered a sales region of 170 cities in south Texas until 1940. Buddy bought his first new Model A Ford, a green sedan. It’s price was $480.
That year, he returned to Dallas and joined his father in the completion of construction of the Dal Worth subdivision in Grand Prairie. He also became active in the family’s Schulz Lumber Company. In 1942, Buddy enlisted in the army and was stationed at Blackland Flying Field in Waco. He was honorably discharged as a corporal in 1943 and resumed his home building in the Dallas and Mesquite areas. He was also a real estate broker.
Buddy was elected to the City Council of Mesquite, serving four terms. He served from 1957 to 1959 and again from 1961 to 1967. He married Florence (Florence) Cliett on 28 July 1945 at her home, 201 Angel, in Mesquite, They lived there for the next six years. During that time, a daughter, Julia Florence, was born to Florence and Buddy on October 27, 1946.
Florence Win Ella Florence was born 22 October 1909, the daughter of Emet and Pearl (Curtis) Florence, at their Mesquite farm. Florence’s father, Emet David, was the youngest son of David Walker and Julia (Beaty) Florence. He was born at the same Florence farm in Mesquite on 20 November 1885. Florence’s mother was Ora Perle Curtis, the youngest daughter of Robert Pennington and Elzora (Porter) Curtis. She was born on 11 September 1889 at their family farm in New Hope.
Florence attended schools in Mesquite, then the Hockaday School in Dallas. She graduated from Baylor College Academy in Belton in 1928. She went on to Baylor College for three years.
In the early 1930s, Florence worked at the Dallas County courthouse in the Agriculture Allotted Acreage Department. In 1934, she married Fred Cliett of Fort Stockton, Texas. They owned the Mesquite Ins
urance Agency in Mesquite from 1936 until shortly after Fred’s death in 1942. Florence then worked for Southern Aircraft in Garland until shortly after her marriage to Buddy in 1945.
Florence returned to college after 25 years and received her Bachelor’s Degree in Education from East Texas State Teacher’s College in Commerce. She then taught second grade for two years at B. E Tisinger Elementary School in Mesquite. Florence is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Mesquite Woman’s Club.
Buddy and Florence were active in many civic organizations, including the Model A Club, Dallas County Pioneer Association. They resided at the Schulz homeplace on North Galloway in Mesquite which they built on part of the Florence Farm in 1951.
By Julie Schulz Morris for Dallas County Pioneer Association’s Proud Heritage..