The store in Lawson community was named for early settler, Sam Haught, was affectionately called “Slapfoot” by local residents. This community was officially named Lawson when a post office was established.
Henry W. Lawson, born 1862 in Alabama, purchased the Haught’s Store in 1897, and became postmaster of this community a few years later upon the death of Judge Arch. B. Lanier. Mr. Lawson was also justice of the peace and member of the Lawson School Board, a highly respected gentleman of the old school, and a friend and confidant of the young and old.
Mr. Lawson continued to run the historic old store, which not only sold groceries, but medicine, jewelry, shoes, and anything else needed by the residents.
Henry Lawson married (1) Bessie Smith, daughter of Joseph H. and Nancy Minerva Smith of Mesquite. Grandmother Smith was known by this writer, who, upon seeing her come for a visit, would run to the woods for the special sapling Grandma Smith used for her snuff.
Henry and Bessie had the following children: Thomas J., Wesley, Earl and Frank Ellis Lawson. Bessie died about 1929, and Henry married (2) Mrs. Mary Frances Shands of Dallas. He died in 1949 and is buried at Pleasant Ridge.
Another early resident of Lawson was Marion M. “Mack” Farmer who came to the area following the Civil War. He purchased several fertile blackland farms in the area. He married two of Sam Haught’s daughters. Following the death of Emma, he married Golden Haught. One of Mack’s grandsons was Otis Dozier, well-known Dallas artist.
R. H. Lasater came to Lawson with his wife and two sons, Fate and Gene, and settled on the old Wilson place. Mr. Lasater put himself through medical school. It is said Dr. Lasater had a snuff bottle he used for a lamp, and made some of the original furniture in his house. His son, Fate, would put hot bricks in the buggy to keep his father’s feet warm on winter nights when he made house calls.
Dr. Lasater’s home is one of the few old homes remaining in the Lawson Community. The exact date the house was built is unknown at this time, but the date “1910” was found on one layer of oil wallpaper when the house was remodeled several years ago.
I. N. Terry, born 1858 in Tennessee, settled in the Lawson Community in 1866. He produced three sons: Emmitt N., John L., and W. T., who lived in the area, and a daughter, Basher Burris, who lived in Ennis. Emmitt N married Nancy Ella Parnell, whose parents came from Georgia and settled on the place where Mack Starks lived. There were nine children born to Emmitt and Nancy.
Fletcher LaFayette Delk came from Missouri two years after the Civil War. He married Mary Parnell, aunt of Nancy Ella (Parnell) Terry, above. Fletcher died in Lawson at the age of eighty-seven.
A private cemetery in a pasture in Lawson reveals the names of a Jones family with these inscriptions which indicate their very early residence:
• Mary Jane Jones, born 26 May 1844, died 12 November 1849
• Sarah Jones, born 29 January 1824, died 30 August 1893
• Jones, born 3 December 1838, died 9 February 1905
• Sarah Jones, born 25 February 1848, died 28 February 1905
• James B. Bailey, born 12 January 1826, died 16 October 1884
Stephen Harvey and Rhoda Culbertson Moore lived on the banks of Parker’s Branch near Haught’s Store. Stephen (born 1868) was a farmer, carpenter and bridge-builder. He and his wife had a daughter, Nora Armine Moore Williams (born 1898). She recounted her family memories to her niece, Nona Williams Nora Armine attended the old Farmer School in Lawson and Montgomery Chapel (First Methodist Church) near her childhood home. About 1906, the old church and school was torn down and a new Lawson community school was built, from which she graduated. (See Stephen Moore story.)
Nora married Doyle W. Williams, son of Charles H. and Effie (Ferguson) Williams, in May, 1919, at Lawson.
In addition to the above, were the McKenzies and Lumleys who left their marks on on this community as evidenced by present-day roads with those names.
Lawson, which was never incorporated as a town, is now cut in half by Interstate 20 and exists as a community of fine rural homes and horse ranches.
By Jerrelldean Little and Nora A.Williams as told to Nona Williams. From DCPA Proud Heritage, Vol. II.