According to Oren Hensley, Wylie had several hotels back in the earlier days. The drummers would take the train to the Wylie Depot and then check into one of the hotels before calling on the local merchants in an effort to drum up business.
Oren Hensley said that his mother worked at the one featured in this article and that it was located about where the First State Bank is now situated.
By the year 1907 Wylie began to “wake up” and keep city records. Almost seventy years later Mrs. Virginia Bostic would discover these in delapidated condition. The year 1907 was the year the Victoria Chapter O.E.S. was organized on March 15th with seventeen members.
When the census of 1910 was taken, Wylie’s population totaled 664, not counting dogs and cats in number. The big news of the year was Tom McDonald’s Wylie Electric Light Plant which brought electricity into Wylie. He was sole owner for several years before selling to Texas Power and Light Company, 1910 was the year Walter Green brought silent movies into this town. Soon he brought into this family business two brothers, Will and Jesse. Not until 1924 was this closed. •
Dress codes played an important part in the Wylie Public School System. Strictly enforced were dresses to be worn by the girls to the ankle. Boys must wear suits with knickers. Outside of school both adults and youth enjoyed the Magnolia Tennis Courts for outings.
By 1912 the office of Fire Marshall was established. Volunteer firemen were recognized. Although the First State Bank was organized, the big news of the day was the automobile. Everyone wanted one. Among first owners were Clayton Stone was supposedly purchased the first in 1906, Jess Cooper, Leighton Hillis, J.W. Akin Sr. and Dr. Maynard.
In 1913 Arzie Russell’s father, Alec Russell, bought a 1913 Ford Model T brass nosed (brass radiator) automobile. It had electric lights but no starter. The Rustler was running “Dear Santa” letters. Those responding were Zelma Branch, Dick Housewright and Elsie Louise Boyd.
S.W. Sibley purchased the First State Bank and Mack Groves opened a meat market in 1914. Among the numerous small businesses in the downtown area was the Farmer’s Warehouse.