DEE WILTON & ELLA WADE TUGGLE
Dee Wilton Tuggle “Bud” was born in Weatherford, Texas May 25, 1874, the fifth child, but the first son born to William Thomas and Mary Ellen Cole Tuggle.
Mary Ellen was the daughter of Calvin Green and Elmira Ann (Reeder) Cole who came to Texas in 1844 to join Calvin’s parents, Dr. John Cole (born 15 June 1795 in Culpepper County, Virginia) and Mary Margaret “Polly” McDonald Cole (born 9 June 1794 in Virginia). Mary Ellen’s is the first recorded birth of a female in Dallas County, Texas who survived. She was born 5 December 1845 while Texas was still a Republic.
Tom and Mary Ellen had seven children. They were: Alice Medora, Minnie Lee, Annie Florence, Ada Elizabeth, Maggie Lura, William Witcher, Cora Einora, Ella Pearl and Albert Wayne. Thomas and Mary Ellen Tuggle also reared their two grandsons, George and Jesse Hanson, whose mother had died in childbirth.
Tom had come to Texas as a child in 1850 with his parents. Henry Pleasant and Mary (Brandenberg) Tuggle from Cass County, Missouri. He later fought in the Civil War in Walker’s Division with Young’s Regiment.
The Tuggle’s homeplace was located at 1210 Fort Worth Avenue in Dallas until 1925 when Tom died and Mary Ellen went to live with her daughter, Ada Smith. In May, 1901, Dee Wilton married Ella Ciona Kathryn Wade who was born in Knoxville, Tennessee, and came to Dallas as a child from Oklahoma. They met at square dance in Dallas. She was 15 years old, and he was 28 years old when they married. From this union came two children: Elbert Wilton Tuggle (born 26 September 1904 in Waco, Texas) and Esther Alpina Tuggle (born 10 September 1908 in Austin, Texas).
?? on Sylvan Avenue. After a time at odd jobs. Dee Wilton was employed by Schoellkopf Saddle and Harness Company, where he worked until he became ill. During his tenure there, he became active in the Leather workers Union No. 8 and was instrumental in securing better working conditions in the shops.
In 1914, Dee Wilton and Ella bought the property on the southwest corner of Edgefield Avenue and Flanders Street in Flanders Heights, Oak Cliff, on which they built a small house at the back of the lots. In 1917, they built the “big house” on the front of the property where it stands today at 1723 N. Edgefield. Ella worked for nine years to help pay for the house, walking to downtown and back each day, sometimes carrying groceries.
Dee Wilton became ill with cancer in 1928 and died 17 August 1929. He is buried in historically marked Western Heights Cemetery along side his parents. Ella died 16 August 1961 of cancer and is buried in Grove Hill Cemetery. Their daughter, Esther Alvina Tuggle Durden, died 18 April 1962 and is buried in Grove Hill Cemetery. Their son, Elbert Wilton Tuggle, died 10 June 1979 and is buried in Moore Memorial Gardens in Arlington, Texas.
By: Juanita Durden Williams for Dallas County Pioneers Association‘s Proud Heritage, Volume III.