17 February 2018 20:19 น. Family Histories, World War II ,

D. C. Carney was born in Reinhardt, Texas on October 6, 1919 to Daniel Joshua Carney and Jeanette Elizabeth Hopkins, both of whom were from Tennessee. Reinhardt was located near the White Rock Lake area about halfway between Garland and Dallas.
Danny C. Carney US Army Photo

Dan grew up on his parents’ farm in Reinhardt and then moved to Garland along with his sister, Neta Beth and five brothers, JD, George, Mentloe, John and Burton. Dan went to Garland High School where he was on the football and track teams. After graduating in 1939, he went to work at the Byer Rolnick Hat Factory in Garland, where he met and fell in love with a beautiful young girl from Richardson by the name of Johnnie Florine Trotter. They were married on March 19, 1940 by a judge in Rockwall. After Dan and Florine left the judge’s chambers, they got into their car and drove all night until noon the next day to Kansas, where Dan started a new job with a pipeline construction company. Dan’s job was to operate heavy equipment to help clear right-of-way for oil and gas pipelines. They traveled to many different states with the pipeline company but between jobs made Richardson their home.

On May 8, 1944 Dan was inducted into the Army and sent to Camp Fannin, Texas where he had infantry and combat training. He was also trained in squad movements and operations and carried a Browning automatic rifle. From Texas he was sent to Fort Meade, Maryland and then sent to Norfolk, Virginia where he caught a Liberty Ship on October 21, 1944 and arrived in North Africa on November 14. Dan went from Africa to Italy where he served several months with the 5th Army MPs until the Battle of The Bulge broke out. At that time several more troops were called up to protect France. Dan was sent to Marseilles to join the 44th infantry where he stayed until the Battle of The Bulge ended. At that time all armies began to advance on Germany. The 44th crossed the Rhine River into Manheim, Germany, and Dan’s company rode tanks as they advanced through Germany. Each tank carried a platoon of fourteen men. He said that the tanks would go from village to village in a line and that one day he was on the last tank and the first tank was blown up and all the men were killed; the next day he was on the first tank and the last tank was blown up. He feels very fortunate that he was not injured. As the tanks passed through villages, most Germans would wave white flags and give up.

At the end of the war the 44th was sent to Innsbruck, Austria to a Depot Camp where divisions were separated and sent home. The 44th was sent to Japan, but since Dan had served in four campaigns (Rome-Arnold, North Appennines, Rhineland and Central Europe) he was sent to a holding depot in France where he stayed until being sent home on the USS Washington on January 10, 1946.

Private First Class Danny C. Carney was discharged from the United States Army from Company F 71st Infantry on January 27, 1946 at Camp Fanning Texas.

After the war, Dan continued to work in pipeline construction helping to lay pipe across some of the most difficult and dangerous terrain in the United States. A pipeline was laid across the mountains in West Virginia in the Monongahela National Forest. Cave Mountain was especially dangerous: here was a fantastically steep mass of rock whose western face rose at an average rate of 45 degrees, climbing 1700 feet into the West Virginia sky before easing off to a more gradual slope. This was just one of the many jobs Dan worked on until his retirement.

Florine died in 1982 and Dan now resides in Beaumont, Texas. They have two children, Clifton Ray Carney and Kathey Ann Carney Herron; five grandchildren, Christopher and Brian Clifton Carney, Kyle Wayne, Kevin Wade, and Crag Wray Herron; and two great-grandchildren, Ashley Elizabeth and Amanda Margaret Carney.

By Kathey Herron for Dallas County Pioneer Association‘s Proud Heritage, Volume III.