Farmers Branch

WILLIAM & NANCY JANE HUGHES COCHRAN

4 March 2018

A Chronology of the Hughes Family:  Nancy Jane Hughes, the daughter of William (June 11, 1785 October 10, 1872) and Ailsey Carr (July 3, 1791 – October 3, 1870) Hughes, was born in Stokes County, North Carolina on October 24, 1817. About 1828 William and Ailsey and their children moved (possibly by way of Bedford […]

JOHN L. COCHRAN

20 February 2018

John L. Cochran published a book in 1887 entitled Dallas County. The book was printed by Service Publishing Company in Dallas. Much of the following article has been taken from this book. In the early part of 1845, they erected the first school and church house ever built in Dallas County. This house was built […]

WILLIAM & NANCY HUGHES COCHRAN

7 February 2018

A remarkable set of women, the Hughes sisters, had much to do with the development of Dallas. Numerous descendants still reside in the area.  Nancy Jane and her husband, William M. Cochran, helped found Farmers Branch.  William named it that because he objected to its original name, Mustang Branch.  He then homesteaded around Northwest Highway […]

FARMERS BRANCH, SITE of FIRST SCHOOLHOUSE

6 February 2018

The Dallas Philological Society will dedicate a marker of Texas granite Sunday, Oct. 16, 1958 at 3 p.m. The site, in Farmers Branch, Texas, is that of the first school house in Dallas County. Site of the ceremony is on Valley View Road west of Webb Chapel Road.  School children of Farmers Branch will sing […]