Dallas

MURDER AT PEARL St. CHURCH of CHRIST, Dallas TX

25 January 2018

Dallas’ Oldest Church; according to the Gospel Guardian in 1951 was known as the Pearl and Bryan Streets Church of Christ has had a most unusual history. Beginning in 1855, the first members of the congregation consisted of the Shephard, Cole, Miller, Peak, and Heard families, with perhaps a few others not remembered. This little […]

ST. MATTHEW’S CATHEDRAL, Dallas TX.

25 January 2018

The Cathedral Church of Saint Matthew, known simply as St. Matthew’s Cathedral, is an Episcopal cathedral church located at 5100 Ross Avenue in Dallas. The cathedral is the official seat of the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas and is sometimes called the mother church of the diocese. It is listed by the Texas […]

DALLAS’S CRUTCHFIELD HOUSE, 1870

18 January 2018

The Crutchfield House, Dallas’s First Hotel, was originally a log structure, built around 1852 which burned in the fire of 1860.  The first hotel Dallas ever knew was a historic landmark in this city for many years. It was built about 1850 on the bluff of the Trinity near the eastern end of the present […]

ED W. DANIEL – Oldest White Rock Wake Area Native

17 January 2018

ED W. DANIEL – Oldest White Rock Wake Area Native Recalls All Day Wagon Journey to Downtown Dallas, Texas Dallas Daily Times Herald, March 28, 1926 White Rock, geographically, isn’t a bit nearer to Dallas than it was when the first white settlers drove their ox teams through the creek which bears its name, and […]

RAILROAD REMOVED FROM PACIFIC AVENUE Robert Wilonsky for Dallas Observer:…

17 January 2018

RAILROAD REMOVED FROM PACIFIC AVENUE Robert Wilonsky for Dallas Observer:  I received an intriguing phone call from preservation expert, author and activist Virginia McAlester, who told me about the great railroad “Spike-Pulling Ceremony” that took place at the corner of Pacific, Live Oak and St. Paul in 1921. You know that image of the golden […]

PADGITT BROTHERS, WELL KNOWN SADDLE MAKERS Dallas, Texas 1867-1960s To…

17 January 2018

PADGITT BROTHERS, WELL KNOWN SADDLE MAKERS Dallas, Texas 1867-1960s To tell the story of the Famous Texas Padgitt Brothers Tom, Clint, and Jesse we must start at their original home of Gallatin, Tennessee. The Padgitt Brothers Parents were James Robert Padgitt and Mary Jane Bond Padgitt they had a family which consisted of 5 children: […]

MUNGER PLACE GATES Buyers Camped Out

14 January 2018

More than any other development, Munger Place set the tone and provided the impetus for East Dallas’s growth in the first two decades of the twentieth century. In 1905, cotton gin manufacturer Robert S. Munger began selling lots in what he hoped would become one of the finest residential developments in the Southwest, Munger Place. […]

LARGENT PARKS Recalls Early Swiss Ave.

13 January 2018

We lived on Swiss Avenue until about 1924. By that time, the city had grown out all around us, Munger Place was filling up fast, and dad had bought twenty two acres of land which is now bounded by Junius, Paulus, and the Lakewood Country Club grounds. He bought this sometime before 1924 and did […]

JOHN H. McDONOUGH, Maple Ave,

26 December 2017

JOHN H. MCDONOUGH (1858-1938), a Kentuckian who came to Texas in 1884 as a member of the federal civil service in the post office department, entered private industry in Dallas in 1900 by buying control of the Murray Ginning Systems Company, manufacturers of a full line of cotton gin machinery, later expanded to include cottonseed […]

CAPT. W. H. GASTON, Plantation Becomes Town

13 November 2017

Captain William H. Gaston, Confederate soldier, banker, financier, and empire builder, designed and constructed his own Greek Revival home in 1873 on the northeast corner of Swiss Avenue and St. Joseph Street. This elegant mansion, headquarters of the 400-acre plantation that became the town of East Dallas, was demolished in 1927 to construct the Dallas […]

‘THE CEDARS’ Dallas’ First Fashionable Neighborhood

10 August 2017

You can access the Cedars neighborhood traveling south from downtown Dallas using five streets: Harwood, St. Paul, Akard, Griffin, and Lamar. Each street crosses Interstate-30 with a standard Texas highway overpass. The freeway, once part of the Cedars, is now a barrier clearly defining a neighborhood that until one hundred years ago served as stepping-stone […]