General Assorted History

TUCKER-SHERRARD GUN FACTORY, Lancaster TX

18 February 2018

During the Civil War, the Tucker-Sherrard Company of Lancaster, in Dallas County, contracted with the State of Texas to manufacture 3,000 “Texas Dragoon Revolver’ copies of Colt revolvers at $40 each-1,500 would be .44 Army caliber Dragoon revolvers, and 1,500 would be .36 caliber Navy revolvers; all built on frames copied from Colt Dragoon revolvers. […]

DALLAS LITTLE MEXICO’S SCHOOL

18 February 2018

The earliest Mexican barrio in Dallas was known as Little Mexico. The unrest caused by the Mexican Revolution of 1910 caused many citizens to flee Mexico. Some of those immigrants intending to find a temporary home in Little Mexico ending up getting married, having children and living there for a lifetime.  They were soon in […]

LESLIE A. STEMMONS

17 February 2018

Leslie Allison Stemmons (1876-1939) was born in Dallas County, and studied at southwestern University (Georgetown, Texas) and at the University of Chicago, majoring in real estate and law. He was then in the gravel mining business with Scott Miller, and worked for Sanger Brothers in Dallas. Then Leslie and Scott Miller formed a real estate […]

CONGRESSMAN RALPH M. HALL

17 February 2018

Ralph Hall, one of three children of Hugh Olin Hall, Sr. and Maude Ball, was born at Fate, Texas on May 3, 1923. After graduating from Rockwall High School, he attended the University of Texas and received his L. L. B. from Southern Methodist University in 1951.   He joined the U. S. Navy on […]

R. S. MUNGER, Founder of Munger Place

16 February 2018

Robert S. Munger is well known as the developer of Munger Place, but he was also a well known inventor of cotton gin equipment. He was the son of Henry Martin and Jane McNutt Munger. He was born at Rutersville, Texas, on July 24, 1854. He attended Trinity University at Tehuacana in Limestone County, Texas. […]

LESTERE MILLER, Delivered First Airmail

16 February 2018

Ione Miller was the wife of Texas aviator Lestere Miller. He made one of the first airplane flights in the state at Hillsboro, Texas in 1911. Then in 1914 he opened the Texas School of Aviation at a hangar and flying field on Columbia Avenue in East Dallas. The interview was conducted by Patricia McGowan. […]

MIGHTY CONSTITUTION on VIEW, 1949

16 February 2018

The mighty Constitution will be on view at Love Field for two days.  The public is invited.  TURNED ON ONE WING end, she would tower about the height of the Baker Hotel. Her fuselage could swallow a Pullman car, two freight cars and for good measure, a city bus. That’s the size of the United […]

DALLAS COUNTY POOR FARM at Hutchins

15 February 2018

By 1876 the Dallas County Commissioners decided our county needed a poor farm. The site that was selected was 339 acres owned by W. J. Keller south of the Dallas City limits, near the town of Hutchins. These acres were from the U. Wuthrick survey, abstract number 1518. The need for some facility to care […]

J. M. PATTERSON, First Dallas Merchant

14 February 2018

James Martin Patterson, of the first regular mercantile firm in Dallas, was born near Lexington, KY, July 31, 1812, the son of Francis and Mary (nee Martin) Patterson. He was reared on a farm near Bowling Green, becoming a millwright. He lived with his parents until friend John W. Smith returned home from a trip […]

BISHOP ARTS BUILDING

13 February 2018

History of the Bishop Arts Building dates back to 1928.  It was August 4, 1928 that E.B. Burll pulled a permit to build a 9,000 square foot building for “stores and apartments” at 408 W. Eighth Street in Oak Cliff, on the Tyler-Polk streetcar line. With construction completed the next year Joseph Tiner, who lived […]

GRAYS CALMED VanZandt FACTIONS

11 February 2018

MEMBERS OF AN early-day Dallas militia company, the Stonewall Grays, are credited with having successfully intervened in a county seat war in VanZandt County in the 1870s. Thus, they contributed to a peaceful outcome of what threatened for a time to become one of the bloodiest encounters in the history of the “Free State” of […]

BRYAN SMOKEHOUSE BARBECUE

10 February 2018

Morning News columnist Steve Blow wrote early in the twenty-first century that Bryan’s Smokehouse was the oldest restaurant still operating in Dallas. With a wink to Vincent’s (1898) this might be true.  Elias and Sadie Bryan moved to Oak Cliff from Cincinnati, Ohio in the beginning of the twentieth century. On February 13, 1910 Elias […]

1908 FLOOD at Dallas

10 February 2018

The Greek Revival home of Alexander and Sarah Cockrell was built in 1858 on the original site of John Neely Bryan’s third log cabin. In 1852 the Cockrell family purchased this lot, along with Bryan’s unsold townsite property.  The house, which stood at the southwest corner of Commerce and Broadway (now the Triple Underpass) was […]

OAK LAWN PARK & Arlington Hall

9 February 2018

A Republic of Texas land grant to William E. Grigsby included the land along Turtle Creek which would later become Oak Lawn Park.  It was later known as Robert E. Lee Park. In 1846, Grigsby sold 320 acres for $320 to Calvin Cole, the eldest son of Dr. John Cole. Calvin Cole built a log […]

BAGDAD CLUB, Grand Prairie, Texas

9 February 2018

The Bagdad was Dallas’ ultra fashionable nightclub during its sporadic existence. Between 1929 and 1945, the club was open only intermittently as it passed through several bankruptcies and sales. Loated ten miles west of Dallas at the intersection of U. S. 80 and Bagdad Street in Grand Prairie, the nightspot’s Glory days ended in 1953 […]

STEEL DUST BEAT MONMOUTH, 1853 Race

9 February 2018

One of the rare historical markers to be found anywhere in the nation commemorating a racehorse will shortly (1977) grace the public square of Lancaster.  Lancaster is the largest of the country towns in the southern half of Dallas County. The marker will pay tribute to Steel Dust, the famous bay stallion quarter horse.  The […]

COLONIAL HILL ADDITION, 1900

9 February 2018

By 1900 the Colonial Hill addition became a desirable location for the affluent.  The tremendous rise of industrial plants along the railroads flanking both sides of South Dallas had a direct cause-and-effect relationship with the growing prosperity of the core residential area of The Cedars. Many of the capitalists who owned these plants and mills […]

COL. EXALL at Fair Park Exhibition

8 February 2018

Col. Henry Exall was a Civil War veteran, cattleman, banker, developer, horse-breeder, and civic leader. An opportunity in the cattle business brought Henry Exall to Texas from his native Virginia (by way of Kentucky) in 1876. At age 28, he settled in Tarrant County, where he had the opportunity to participate in driving cattle north […]

A. F. PLATTER Reached City in 1900

7 February 2018

ANDREW F. PLATTER was long a dominant figure in the wholesale food distribution industry in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico.  He came to the state in the late 1870s, making his home initially in Denison. Then around the turn of the century, with the opening of a major branch of his business here, he and […]

WAVES of HENSLEY FIELD, Grand Prairie TX

6 February 2018

Marge Harrington, 94, poses for a portrait at Grace Presbyterian Village, a senior living and health service, in Dallas, TX on Oct. 5, 2015. During WWII, Harrington worked as a secretary for the US Navy in Arlington. Originally from Boston, MA, Harrington said she was thrilled to escape the Northeastern winters. Harrington said she met […]