Family Histories

CARUTH BROTHERS Store Downtown Dallas

15 January 2018

CARUTH BROTHERS STARTED WITH STORE Located Next to Courthouse Downtown Dallas, Texas IT IS WIDELY KNOWN that the pioneer Caruth family played an important part in the start of University Park. Also familiar is the decisive role of the gift in 1910 of some 520 acres of land by W. W. Caruth, Sr. to Southern […]

JACOB LUTZ, SR. FAMILY At Dallas, Texas Home

14 January 2018

The Selzer long journey that led Jacob Lutz and his large family to Dallas started in 1882 when they left the Austria-Hungary area in Europe to escape the cruelty of the Turks and Russian Cossacks and the threat to their religious freedom. They came to America in “steerage” aboard ship, even though they had paid […]

LARGENT PARKS Recalls Early Swiss Ave.

13 January 2018

We lived on Swiss Avenue until about 1924. By that time, the city had grown out all around us, Munger Place was filling up fast, and dad had bought twenty two acres of land which is now bounded by Junius, Paulus, and the Lakewood Country Club grounds. He bought this sometime before 1924 and did […]

WILLIAM LEONARD SMITH & FAMILY, Lancaster, Texas

13 January 2018

Adventures of Lancaster, Texas Native:  William Leonard Smith was born in Lancaster on March 1, 1874 to Mary Frances “Molly” Winniford and Thomas A. Smith, both Texas natives. Molly was the daughter of Rebecca Goodloe Douglas and Norvell Robertson Winniford, Dallas pioneer and county sheriff 1867-1870. William Leonard had at least one sibling, a sister […]

DR. W. A. MAUPIN Rowlett’s Frontier Dr.

12 January 2018

A horse, a new saddle, and a brand spanking new pill bag. With these as his sole possessions, a new doctor rode into Rowlett around five o’clock in the afternoon on October 3, 1892. With the ink scarcely dry on his diploma, a genuine sheepskin, incidentally, W. A. Maupin became Rowlett’s young “Doc.” Today, (1953) […]

WILLIAM C. C. AKARD & His Street

10 January 2018

William C. C. Akard, for whom Akard Street in Dallas was named, was born in North Carolina on 6 March 1826. He moved from North Carolina to Polk County, Missouri. He married Sarah Bowen, daughter of Ahab Bowen. Ahab Bowen, along with his sons, sons-in-law, and their families, moved from Missouri to Arkansas. This group […]

CAPT. W. H. GASTON, Plantation Becomes Town

13 November 2017

Captain William H. Gaston, Confederate soldier, banker, financier, and empire builder, designed and constructed his own Greek Revival home in 1873 on the northeast corner of Swiss Avenue and St. Joseph Street. This elegant mansion, headquarters of the 400-acre plantation that became the town of East Dallas, was demolished in 1927 to construct the Dallas […]