Churches

JAMES G. HARDIN, Circuit Rider

3 October 2019

JAMES G. HARDIN was minister of Dallas’ first known Methodist Church. If you grew up in Dallas, then here is a snippet of local history you probably never knew about. Hardin appears to have arrived at Dallas as a circuit riding preacher before becoming the first Methodist minister in Dallas. In January 1847, the Reverend […]

SACRED HEART Guadalupe Cathedral

11 February 2019

On June 17, 1898 the corner stone of the Cathedral was set. It is still very evident today on the corner near Ross and Pearl Street in downtown Dallas. When dedicated in 1902 the Souvenir Brochure describes the Sacred Heart Cathedral as a “stately structure of pure Gothic architecture 104 by 160 feet in size. […]

GRACE METHODIST, Converted Apartments

23 September 2018

It is not an uncommon occurrence for a residence to be converted into a church, but when the case is reversed, and a church is changed into a residence, it is a very unusual affair, in fact, even the old settlers of Dallas, when the matter is considered, will no doubt scratch their heads thoughtfully […]

T. J. McCLAIN Helps Found Christian Church

18 April 2018

Thomas Jackson McClain, Civil War veteran, was born in Granada, Pennsylvania, on January 29, 1835, and died on the same day of January in 1888. He was an early pioneer of the Pleasant Valley area, having arrived there sometime prior to 1862.  He would later be instrumental in the organization of a Church of Christ […]

ELM GROVE AREA’S EARLY BAPTISMS

13 April 2018

This early photo (about 1895) is from my great-grandfather George Washington Forster’s pond in the Elm Grove community.  This area, located northeast of Rowlett, Texas, is one of the last remaining unincorporated communities in Dallas County.  This one of the very few ponds in the community in those days and the site of many early […]

SACRED HEART CATHOLIC CHURCH, Rowlett TX

19 February 2018

Some fifty years before Sacred Heart became a Catholic Church, William Crabtree received a Mercer Colony certificate for land which he assigned to Frederick Smith sometime around 1850.  Smith then patented 320 acres in the northeast section of Dallas County with this certificate and apparently lived on or near the property for a number of […]

EAST DALLAS CHRISTIAN CHURCH

18 February 2018

As much for others as for ourselves” has been an underlying principle for East Dallas Christian Church, which has brought this congregation to a position of leadership among Christian Churches (Disciples of Christ) nationwide. Organized in 1903, by 1921 EDCC had become a “Living Link Church” to four mission stations all around the world.  Next […]

ROWLETT CHRISTIAN CHURCH

7 February 2018

Rowlett was a tiny farming town of less than one hundred people when a church of the Disciples of Christ was founded there in 1893. It was the first church to be organized in downtown Rowlett area. Thirteen church pioneers led by Aunt Ebb Coyle, who donated part of her farmland for the church home […]

ORGANIST JAMES GUINN REMINISCES

25 January 2018

James Guinn, a career organist, tells us that several of Dallas’ historic churches have in common pipe organs by the same builder. The firm of Henry Pilcher’s Sons of Louisville, Kentucky, provided quality instruments from well back in the nineteenth century until the onset of World War II. They did not resume business after the […]

MURDER AT PEARL St. CHURCH of CHRIST, Dallas TX

25 January 2018

Dallas’ Oldest Church; according to the Gospel Guardian in 1951 was known as the Pearl and Bryan Streets Church of Christ has had a most unusual history. Beginning in 1855, the first members of the congregation consisted of the Shephard, Cole, Miller, Peak, and Heard families, with perhaps a few others not remembered. This little […]

SHOOTOUT AT PLEASANT VALLEY CHURCH

25 January 2018

SHOOT OUT AT PLEASANT VALLEY CHURCH June, 1897- An unusually large congregation assembled at the Pleasant Valley church, five miles east of Garland, yesterday forenoon to hear the Rev. Dr. Patterson, of Ellis county, preach.  The preliminary service of song and prayer was over, and the preacher was about to announce his text, and the […]

ST. MATTHEW’S CATHEDRAL, Dallas TX.

25 January 2018

The Cathedral Church of Saint Matthew, known simply as St. Matthew’s Cathedral, is an Episcopal cathedral church located at 5100 Ross Avenue in Dallas. The cathedral is the official seat of the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas and is sometimes called the mother church of the diocese. It is listed by the Texas […]

SACRED HEART GUADALUPE CATHEDRAL, Dallas TX

24 January 2018

On June 17, 1898 the corner stone of the Sacred Heart Guadalupe Cathedral was set. It is still very evident today on the corner near Ross and Pearl Street in downtown Dallas. When dedicated in 1902 the Souvenir Brochure describes the Cathedral as a “stately structure of pure Gothic architecture 104 by 160 feet in […]

FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH of DALLAS, 1901

30 December 2017

The first Unitarian Church of Dallas was located at the SE corner of Commerce and Pearl streets. On May 12 , 1899, at the invitation of Rabbi Dr. George Alexander Kohut, Mr. Daniel Christian Limbaugh gave a talk on the Unitarian religion at Temple Emanu-El. On December 3, 1899, after several months of preliminary work, […]