The homes on Browder Street were built in the early 1890s and began to be razed in the late 1930s and early 1940s for parking space in the expanding business district. To some extent, the deterioration of Browder St. and the majority of the Cedars came from the large home owners themselves. Their many little barns, outhouses, and servants’ buildings created a crowded, unsightly clutter around almost every house. As late as 1911 the Sanger brothers retained a large stable near their homes to house delivery van animals, even after trucks came into general use.The coup de grace to the rapidly declining situation occurred when the industrial expansion along the railroad lines surrounding The Cedars began to spill over into the residential area. An increasing number of cotton mills, petroleum distillation plants, cottonseed oil presses, lumber yards, and ice factories (with attendant workers’ quarters, black shantytowns and subsidiary businesses) began to constrict that protected, isolated pocket of big homes, further decreasing their desirability and value. Even Mill Creek, the meandering stream which had been such a pleasant attraction only a few years before, evolved into an open sewer, filled with foul-smelling human and industrial wastes, and lined with refuse as if it were the city dump.
Photo of the Browder Street residence and text is ourtesy Dallas Rediscovered by William L. McDonald.